The Sub-council of the Tripartite Cooperation in Labour Affairs (STCLA) is created to ensure and facilitate a social dialogue - a participation and cooperation of the state, the employers' organizations and their unions and employees' trade unions - in the issues of labour protection, regulation of legal labour relationships and ensuring equal opportunities in legal labour relationships. STCLA is a part of the institutional system of the National Tripartite Cooperation Council (NTCC) in which the government, Latvian Confederation of the Employers (LCE) and Latvian Free Trade Union Federation (LFTUF) are represented. On August 26, 1993, the work of the Tripartite Labour Protection Council was initiated.
On March 8, 2000, the statute of STCLA was approved. STCLA ensure and facilitate the cooperation and participation of the state, the employers' organizations and their unions in improvement of the fields of labour protection, legal labour relationships and equal opportunities in legal labour relationships.
Functions of STCLA:
- Review the proposals of conceptions, programs and legislative documents, the basic setup of the state budget proposal in the issues of labour protection, of regulations of the legal labour relationships and of equal opportunities in the legal labour relationships, elaborate its own proposals, and provide opinion before their revision in the committee of the Cabinet of Ministers and NTCC;
- Participate in the improvement of the legislation on labour protection, legal labour relationships and equal opportunities in legal labour relationships in accordance with the requirements and suggestions of the conventions of ILO and with other international obligations of the Republic of Latvia;
- Participate in elaboration the proposals for ratification and denouncing the conventions of ILO, review the proposals of the government reports about the fulfilment of the international obligations in the areas of labour protection, legal labour relationships and equal opportunities in legal labour relationships and provide opinion about these reports;
- Perform information and education work with the employers' organizations and their unions and with the employees' trade unions, and facilitate cooperation on the field and regional level;
- Review the overviews of the State Labour Inspectorate about the situation in the areas of labour protection, legal labour relationships and equal opportunities in legal labour relationships.
The work of STCLA is regulated by statute of STCLA, regulations and statute of NTCC and ILO convention Nr.144 concerning Tripartite Consultations to Promote the Implementation of International Labour Standards.
The ratifying law adopted in Saeima on 15.06.1994 On Conventions nr.81, 129, 144, 154, 155, 158, 173 of the International Labour Organization and Convention concerning Tripartite Consultations to Promote the Implementation of International Labour Standards.
The operation of STLCA is supported by the Ministry of Welfare on the funding provided for this purpose in the state budget, and the participating parties may provide an input into the financing the operation of the STLCA.
The meetings of the STLCA take place in the premises of the Ministry of Welfare.
The technical support of the operation of the STLCA is provided by its secretary.
The address of the secretariat of the STLCA is as follows: 28 Skolas street, Riga, LV 1331. E-mail Astra.Pilsuma@lm.gov.lv phone - 67021570, fax - 67021505