The disability pension may be received by the following persons:
- who have not reached the set retirement age,
- to whom the old-age pension, including the early old-age pension, has not been granted,
- whose disability has been confirmed (except, when the cause of disability is an accident at work or a professional disease after the 1st January 1997), and
- whose insurance period is at least three years.
The disability pension is paid until the age required for granting the old-age pension - when a person reaches the retirement age set in the country, the old-age pension is granted. During the period of disability, it shall not be below the disability pension which has been received until the moment of granting the old-age pension. Thus, if the disability pension is higher than the calculated old-age pension, the person receives the old-age pension equal to the amount of the disability pension. If the disability is no longer confirmed at the moment of granting the old-age pension, the calculated olg-age pension is paid to the person.
The rule of maintaining the amount of the disability pension at the moment of granting the old-age pension is not applicable if the entitlement to receive the old-age pension has been obtained exclusively on the basis of international agreements in the field of social security or the Regulation of the European Parliament and Council (EC) No. 883/2004 (29 April 2004) on the coordination of social security systems, and also in the case when the insurance period for which the old-age pension has been calculated is below the insurance period for which the disability pension has been calculated.
During the employment the full amount of the disability pension is paid.
The amount of the disability pension depends on the disability category confirmed for the person.
As of 1 January 2021, for persons with III disability group, the disability pension is granted at the level of the disability pension calculation basis, which is 136 euro, for persons with disability since childhood – 163 euro.
The amount of the disability pension of the I and II group depends on the following aspects:
- the person's average monthly wage from which social insurance contributions are paid and which is set for any period of successive 36 months during the last 5 years prior to the granting of the disability pension;
- the person's individual social insurance term;
- the maximum possible insurance term which is defined from the age of 15 years until the reaching of the retirement age stipulated by the law.
If the disability insurance has not been applicable to the person for a period of 5 years prior to the granting of the disability pension, the minimum disability pension is granted.
In the calculation of the minimum disability pension for persons with I and II disability group a coefficient is applied to the disability pension calculation basis: 1.6 for persons with I disability group (217,60 euro, for persons with disability since childhood – 260,80 euro) and 1.4 for persons with II disability group (190,40 euro, for persons with disability since childhood – 228,20 euro).